Thursday, September 22, 2011

Simplicity Essay

Assignment: Read the simplicity packet. Choose an idea from the packet and write about it. Be sure to quote the article or passage you are referring to and make sure you cite your source. 3 paragraph minimum. Grammar and mechanics correct.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The quote from the packet I chose was, "Simplicity means feeling such a strong sense of kinship with others that, as Ghandi said, we 'choose to live simply so that others may simply live.'"(no citation given... but, it's from the 5th idea from the "simplicity garden" article.)

I chose this quote because it really stood out for me. I think it stood out from everything else because it really made me think about what Ghandi meant by what he said. I think that he really just meant exactly what he said; live your life simply so that others can live their lives simply too. I think you can also dig deeper in this quote and think about what it really means to live simply, and why you have to "have a strong sense of kinship with others." Living simply has a lot of definitions, and being in such a strong relationship with others can too.

To me, living simply means living life to the fullest without distractions and unnecessary things. Living life to the fullest could mean that you do what you really love with the people that matter to you and not worrying about the other stuff. A lot of that could be called "distractions" or "unnecessary things", and I think those things are material items and items or concepts that are really complicated. That would be things that you don't really need; unlike necessary things like food, water, and shelter. I think you also need people, like your friends and your family.

I think that being in really strong relationships with other people can help with simplicity because you can be with them and have good times without trying too hard. You can also always have them there to have them remind you to live your life simply. That relates to what Ghandi said, we "choose to live simply so that others can simply live," which I think means that if you live your life simply, others will too. That would probably make life in general simple and easy. Another thing about that would be that you shouldn't have too many friends, or at least close ones, because that could make life confusing and maybe even stressful, which is not being simple. As long as you keep the right friends close, you will live a simple and happy life.

1 comment:

  1. Jessie, thanks for the thoughtful entry. I love this quote from Ghandi, and I think it applies to much of the work we are doing in school with TASC.

    4.5/5 points. Solid entry. A suggestion I offer is for you to try not to repeat yourself too often. I noticed you repeated Ghandi's quote a number of times. It's unecessary. Introduce new ideas, or expand on the ideas you start with.

    ReplyDelete