Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sarah's Key - Entry #2


The book, Sarah’s Key, leaves me with a lot of questions and inferences. My first inference I can make about this book is that Sarah, the little girl during 1942, will never be able to rescue her brother from the locked cupboard back at her house. At this point in the story, Sarah and her mother and father are being taken from the stadium, where they were living for days in inhumane conditions. They are now being taken from the Stadium, to a concentration camp. During their journey towards the camp, Sarah realizes they are going to be far away from Paris, and her little brother in the cupboard. While Sarah was talking to her father, she cries, “’Papa, I didn’t know, I thought we were coming back, I thought he’d be safe.’” (Pg. 57) The only reason that the little boy is locked in the cupboard is because Sarah thought it would be safe to leave him there. At the time, she thought they’d be coming right back, she had no idea. Some questions I have are; will Sarah find a way to escape and come back home? Will she be able to rescue her brother? Will her brother die?

As I was reading, I made another inference. I inferred that there are going to be problems in Bertrand and Julia’s marriage. They love each other, but Bertrand’s sense of humor is dry, so his jokes are sometimes rude. He likes to make fun of Julia for the fact that she is American, but moved to France when she was in her 20s. She’s lived there for about 20 years and just wants to fit in. Julia asks herself, “Why did I put up with him, again and again? Because you’re crazy about him, right? Ever since you met him, even if he’s bossy, rude, and selfish?” (Pg. 51.) For the almost sixteen years that they’ve been married, Julia put up with his rude comments, and didn’t let them bother her that much. Now, though, she’s starting to realize just how bad his behavior is, and doesn’t want to put up with it anymore. Some questions I have about this inference are; will Julia ever confront him about this issue? Will Bertrand ever realize how rude he can sometimes be and change that? Will their marriage last?


1 comment:

  1. Great questions! I appreciate your ability to apply what you've read and make inferences. you also did a good job substantiating your ideas with evidence from the text. I wonder if you see any connections to contemporary real world events as you read.

    5/5 points.

    ReplyDelete